Hidden Dangers in the Home

Hidden Dangers in the Home

Ever felt nauseous, headachey and dizzy or even collapsed? It might sound like a regular Sunday morning after a heavy night out, but if, like me, drunken nights out are a distant memory it could be a silent killer.

I have been asked to get involved with a campaign to raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide in the family home. It’s one of those things that not everyone is aware of, and it’s such an important message I wanted t share it.

The NHS reports that carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for the deaths of around 40 people per year and the hospitalization of around 200 in the UK alone. Young children and the elderly are most at risk. I remember a friend of mine had her four month old baby at the local hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Thankfully it was something and nothing but it did prompt her to install carbon monoxide detectors in the home, and to get her boiler serviced and checked out.

The Gas Safe Register estimate that around 1 in 6 homes that they inspected were found to have an unsafe gas appliance, and one in 11 has an unsafe boiler. A scary statistic when you know just how dangerous a carbon monoxide leak can be.

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are summed up in the image below from the Gas Safe Register site. It is well worth a look at this site as there is a lot of really useful information.

CO2 poisoning
Image courtesy of Gas Safe Register

Corgi HomePlan are running a campaign for every home in the UK to have a carbon monoxide detector and have created a really informative website to help families be aware of the dangers in the home.

Unlike gas, carbon monoxide is actually colourless and odourless meaning you can’t rely on the usual senses of taste smell and sight to know it’s there. It’s a silent killer. We have a couple of carbon monoxide alarms in our home as we have a wood burning stove. We have an alarm in the same room as the stove and also in the room above as well as the normal smoke alarm and ensure that the chimney is swept.

The prospect of Daniel or Emma being made poorly or worse from a carbon monoxide leak is a terrifying thought. We also have our boiler serviced annually – in fact it will be done in the next month when we have some radiators replaced. It is important to make sure you use a Gas Safe engineer and to be sure, make sure you use the Gas Safe Register to find a local approved engineer.

Corgi HomePlan are offering two of my readers the chance to win a FireAngel Carbon Monoxide Detector each. To be in with a chance of winning one of these detectors and helping to stay safe against carbon monoxide poisoning please complete the rafflecopter below

Carbon monoxide poisoning is really is a scary thing and can happen to anyone. If you aren’t lucky enough to win the giveaway then why not order a carbon monoxide alarm online? It might save your life.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Terms & Conditions:

  • This competition is open to residents of the UK only.
  • There is no cash alternative offered.
  • Prizes will be sent directly from Corgi HomePlan or their appointed company.
  • To enter, please use the rafflecopter widget above. Please ensure you leave contact details. Without these I will not be able to contact you should you win.
  • Two winners will be drawn at random from all qualifying entries. Each winner will be sent one carbon monoxide alarm.
  • The competition will close on 14 April 2015

I have not received payment for this post or giveaway



  1. huddo
    29th March 2015 / 14:30

    nice prize

  2. Tammy Neal
    12th April 2015 / 22:03

    Superb Prize <3 Fantastic Give Away Fingers Crossed 😀 #win

Let me know your thoughts with a comment below

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.