As I wrote earlier in the week, we are working our way through the Exploring Nature with Children (ENWC) curriculum. Here I share the activities we have undertaken as part of of week 1 – seed dispersal.
We went to our place of choice and had a lovely walk. I wrote about this in more detail here. We also followed up the next day when we were out with friends are we spotted some himalyan balsam and with it their ‘popping seed’s. The children had great fun popping these.
We have also been checking the Horse chestnut tree at the top of our road to see if the conkers are ready… they’re not yet but we did collect some conkers last week when we were in Cardiff.
Miss E is quite artistic – she often takes a pen and pencil and sits and draws and I am keen to encourage her and Mr D (and Mr H in due course) to draw and create things. I wish I could draw better so I have bought some watercolour pencils and had a go at drawing this week. I chose to draw an acorn, Miss E drew a (colourful) Hawthorn Bush and Mr D did a beech tree nut.
We used the guided journal to conduct a simple experiment to look at the seeds we had gathered and to see how they might be dispersed. We tested if they flew or fluttered to the ground (by blowing them off our hands), checked if they stuck to our clothing and also got a small tub of water to test if they would sink or float.
This was a lot of fun and we predicted what we thought would happen, remembering where we had found the different seeds (ie: next to the river).
We also had great fun with the zoomy microscope. We had talked about the grass seeds and how they stuck to Damian’s sweater. We magnified a seed on it’s own, the one that was on Damian’s sweater. The children were pretty impressed to be able to see the small hairs on the seed and how it was those that were helping it to grip to the sweater. It really helped to bring the idea to life for them. I think the microscope will be a really useful tool for us this year.
We accessed a fab powerpoint from Twinkl that Mr D and I watched together. We also printed this sorting activity, but we haven’t got round to using it yet. I am sure we will over the next week though.
The children have really enjoyed the this week and I look forward to next week – mini-beasts.