*Please note this post contains affiliate links
100 Steps for Science: Why it works and how it happened is a stunning book that will engage and enrich many a child and adults mind.
The book explores ten key scientific discoveries and how they shaped the world we inhabit, each of these ten areas are split into ten simple steps (leading to the 100 steps). This really is a fantastic and comprehensive introduction to science and, as you would expect from Wide Eyed Editions, it’s all presented in a stylish, exciting and beautiful way. This book doesn’t shy away from using key scientific terms and phrases which is great to see and makes it a real big hitter for me.
I suspect this book covers most of the primary science curriculum and its author, Lisa Jane Gillespie, has excellent credentials as a doctor of Chemistry and previous editor. It is packed from edge to edge, page to page and cover to cover with colour and information and draws the reader in.
There is a wealth of information presented in this book and it is all done so in bite size pieces which are perfect for young people. We looked at the materials section together a week or so ago, when we talked about why our house is made from bricks and the car from metal. We often talk about why we wear certain clothes when it rains or it is cold and this section was a really nice way to introduce some new phrases such as getting the children to consider the properties of certain materials and why we use them eg: wellies are made from flexible softer materials that are strong enough to protect our feet and stay waterproof.
We didn’t read all this section as there was a lot of information for the children to take in. I liked that the bite size steps allowed me to dip in and out and cover, confidently, what the children wanted to know and were asking me.
This is a wonderful wonderful book and it’s even taught me a few things.
I am thrilled that the publishers are offering a reader the chance to win a copy of this wonderful book. To be in with a chance of winning, please complete the rafflecopter below.
Terms & Conditions:
1. The competition is open to residents of the UK only aged (18) and over.
2. The prize is non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered.
3. To enter, please use the Rafflecopter widget above, complete any mandatory entries and any optional entries you would like.
4. The winner will be chosen at random from all valid entries.
5. The winner will receive one copy of 100 Steps for Science from Quarto Books
6. The closing date for entries is 11.59pm GMT on 7th May 2017.
7. The winners will be informed by email within 7 days of the closing date.
8. The winners will be asked to provide a full UK postal address with postcode for delivery purposes.
9. The winners’ name will be available on request
10. Address details will be passed onto an agency to post the prize out to the winners, and is therefore beyond my control. I cannot be held responsible for prizes being lost in the post although I will endeavour to liaise with the agency.
11. Entry to this giveaway confirms that participants have read, understood and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
12. LetThemBeSmall’s decision is final in all matters relating to this giveaway.