Emma’s bedroom has never really been properly thought out. We didn’t even really sort it out in any way until after she was born.
The room started life as our study and general dumping ground. Bookcases, desk etc. Emma, being the second child she has inherited Daniel’s cot and wardrobe so she hasn’t really had much of her own new stuff for her room.
I have been collecting decorative bits and pieces for her room over the past few weeks and over the weekend, under the direction of my mother in law who has a keen eye for rooms and decoration, we moved the furniture around and made it a little nicer and brighter for her. Already the room looks bigger and brighter. It is amazing what a difference well placed furniture makes.
We have the cot complete with hand dyed sheets – I like colour in children’s rooms so I opted to dye these red, although it isn’t as deep a shade of red as I hoped for! Dying sheets is really easy. I picked up a pack of dye and it took about an hour or soaking then into the washer for a rinse. Much easier, and less messy than I expected and I will be doing this again in the future I think.
One thing we were keen to do is to order a new mattress for Emma – whilst I am happy for her to have the cot Daniel used I think having her own, new mattress is important and I am sure that most parents will be aware of safe sleeping guidelines.
I quite like the look of these nightlights from CozyGlo so will be keeping on eye on how they do with their crowd funding. I love the Penguin for both children’s rooms.
Yesterday I picked up a new light shade and some wall stickers which I will add once all the furniture is in the right place. I love the three canvas prints we have too – nice and bright and Emma points at them and babbles away to them when we lift her out of her cot.
The final addition for now is some bunting that I picked up in Dunelm Mill. It is lovely and bright. It annoys me that there are so many pastel pinks and lilacs to choose from but so few bright bold primary colours. If I had more time I would have made the bunting, it is easy enough to make but time consuming.
I’m on the look out now for a nice toy box for her as well as another print or two and somewhere to store her books.I’m glad we are finally getting round to sorting her room, next step is to update Daniel’s a little!