*Please note that this post contains affiliate links
Today sees the publication of the fabulous School of Music book from Wide Eyed Editions. You may recall that there is another School of … book – the School of Art and this book follows the same format and design as that.
For anyone following a home education path then this is a perfect book. The book is split into three terms, the terms are Listen Up!, Your Musical Toolbox and Make if Yourself and there are some 40 lessons that you can follow.
The lessons are great and help you learn a wide range of things – different types of music and the theory behind it. What I liked about it too is that there are QR codes that can be scanned which then let you listen to the music that the book references – genius idea.
There is so much packed into this book that it’s basically an entire music curriculum. Whilst it is aimed at ages 7-12 I have looked at it a bit with Mr D and there’s certainly stuff you can touch on from a younger age. I think we will follow this more next year when both Mr D and Miss E are a little older.
The School of Music is written by Meurig Bowen and Rachel Bowen, who have amazing and wide-ranging professional experiences – more than enough to make them the perfect authors for this book. As you would expect from Wide Eyed Editions, this book is stylish in its presentation. It’s beautifully presented and Daniel Frost has illustrated this in a really lovely and engaging way.
The book begins by introducing the reader to the school and its teachers. Sergio Trunk is ‘The Boss’ and Diva Venus is the star singer. There are a number of key characters in the school and the reader is treated to an interview with each one. It’s brilliantly well written and gives an insight into the different roles and different characters you’ll find across music.
I haven’t worked my way through all the book yet – only a lesson or two in but I found the start of term 1 to be really good and thought provoking. It begins by talking about noise and why we should listen. It was certainly interesting to think about this and how music links to different things such as dance and film and even maths!
I like that the lessons are short and easy to go through and activities are provided to help think about the content of the lesson. The illustrations also invite conversation and there is so much to see and do. This is a book that we will revisit time and again I am sure, and as the children get older they’ll be able to understand and appreciate it all in a different way.
The School of Music is the perfect aid for anyone with an interest in music and a keenness to learn more and provides an amazing foundation for anyone following a Home Education path – your music curriculum in one place ready to explore in a really engaging and exciting way.
I am thrilled to be offering my readers the chance to win a copy of The School of Music. Simply complete the rafflecopter form below to be in with a chance of winning.
Terms & Conditions:
1. The competition is open to residents of the UK only aged (18) and over.
2. The prize is non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered.
3. To enter, please use the Rafflecopter widget above, complete any mandatory entries and any optional entries you would like.
4. The winner will be chosen at random from all valid entries.
5. The winner will receive one copy of the School of Music from Quarto Books
6. The closing date for entries is 11.59pm GMT on 30th April 2017.
7. The winners will be informed by email within 7 days of the closing date.
8. The winners will be asked to provide a full UK postal address with postcode for delivery purposes.
9. The winners’ name will be available on request
10. Address details will be passed onto an agency to post the prize out to the winners, and is therefore beyond my control. I cannot be held responsible for prizes being lost in the post although I will endeavour to liaise with the agency.
11. Entry to this giveaway confirms that participants have read, understood and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
12. LetThemBeSmall’s decision is final in all matters relating to this giveaway.